Sunday, July 24, 2005

Burning Rubber with the Dazz Band

While I'm on the topic of post-9/11 Paramount Studios...
Every year, Magic Johnson throws a big AIDS benefit party. Ordinarily, the performers would get to park their cars in the studio's parking garage. That year, they had to park elsewhere. They were not pleased.

I was assigned to greet the performers/VIPs at the gate and shuttle them to the party/stage area on my golf-cart. Here comes a gaggle of sweaty, middle-aged black men lugging musical instrument cases. They plunked themselves down on my golf-cart and grumbled.

Trying to lighten the mood, I go: "I love your music! Especially 'Burn Rubber on Me'." And I proceeded to warble the chorus to the song... before being cut off by one of my passengers snapping, "That was the Gap Band. We're the Dazz Band."
I inserted my foot in my mouth and burned golf-cart rubber.

"Let it Whip"! That was the Dazz Band! How could I confuse the two bands? Oh yeah: they sound exactly the same.

FYI: The Dazz Band is available for Corporate Entertainment Booking.
Here's an excerpt from their promotional website http://www.delafont.com/music_acts/dazz.htm
(Warning: it's kinda depressing. I've highlighted the most depressing parts in puke orange for your convenience.)

"Dazz" is a contraction of "danceable jazz"... they registered two minor US hits in 1978 and 1979. ...their irresistible blend of dance rhythms and commercial melodies established them as one of the Motown label's hottest acts of the '80s.
Their early albums were firmly in the jazz-funk style pioneered by Earth, Wind And Fire ... They graduated towards a harder, less melodic funk sound, enjoying a US Top 10 hit with "Let It Whip" in 1982, which won them a Grammy award for the best performance by an R&B Vocal Duo or Group.
Notable British success followed with the tougher, sparse rhythm of "Let It All Blow." "Jukebox" marked a transition towards a more rock-orientated sound which brought them continued success in the specialist black music charts, though crossover recognition among pop fans proved more elusive...
Musical trends may change, one hit wonders may come and go, but if you're looking for the real thing, look no further. The Dazz Band is back in Action! Groove merchants, funk masters and whenever needed – smooth soul men vocals of silk. The group serves up a tasty menu of new, hip-hop music stamped indelibly with that instantly recognizable sound.

As a group touring band, the Dazz Band had few equals. The group tours with such artists as Cameo, Kool & the Gang, The Commodores, The GAP Band, Roger Zapp, Earth Wind & Fire, and many many more.

The Dazz Band presents a slammin' mix of musical jams designed, quite naturally to dazzle the world!...so watch out! The spell has been cast and once you hear the sounds and see the shows, it's guaranteed that the rhythm in your hearts and souls will not allow your body to stop its movement for one second. Let It Whip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home